I Say It Every Year…

A Danish Christmas tree illuminated with burni...

Image via Wikipedia

Tis the season for live Christmas trees. While I totally understand that everyone wants a live tree or live evergreen for Christmas…please keep in mind that some people (like me and my family) are ALLERGIC to live evergreen. Actually, it isn’t an allergy so much as a super sensitivity to the mold that grows on them. I can’t even go to a Christmas Tree farm without getting sick (made that mistake ONE time – Never Again.).

When you take a live tree and put it in a closed environment, like your house in the winter, it just makes the sensitivity that much worse. The longer you have the tree in your house, the worse it gets as well. Some people have allergy symptoms, some are like me and have flu symptoms. Some may only have a bad headache (I get that too).

Please be considerate of these people! I have had people accuse me of being snobbish, antisocial, rude, and even a liar because I couldn’t come to their house at Christmas because of the tree. Sorry, but I choose to be WELL over the holiday season you can come to MY house! I do have an issue with my ILs. They will not give up their real tree so I have to severely limit the time spent in the house when I go and make sure to spend it in a room far away from the tree if possible. I go to the ILs later at night so I am only exposed for a few hours at most on Christmas eve and Christmas Day and just deal with it on New Year’s eve (they don’t put their tree in the house until Christmas eve but were nice enough to get an air cleaner when they remember to turn it on). I told them I will let them have their tree as long as my kids don’t suffer from the same sensitivity.

There was a study done that found that the mold levels rise in houses that have live Christmas trees. While most houses have some mold spores in them, when you introduce a Christmas tree the levels rise exponentially.

For the first three days, counts remained at 800 spores per cubic meter of air, then began escalating, rising to a maximum of 5,000 spores per cubic meter by day 14, when the tree was taken down.

normal indoor air has a mold level of 500-700 spores per cubic meter; anything higher indicates a source of mold growth inside the building.

Emphasis mine.  NOTE:  I did have a link to the article I quoted from, but it is no longer there.  If I can find a link to the study again I will be sure to post it.

So, please PLEASE be considerate of anyone that seems to get ill around the holidays and those that say they are allergic to Christmas trees. If you aren’t going to give up your tree at the very LEAST get a very good air cleaner! If you, yourself seem to get sick around the holidays or have a sensitivity to mold, think about an artificial tree. It’s better to preserve your health than worry about a tradition!

(Yes, you have seen this before, I re-post this message every year.)

Advertisements

2 Comments

Filed under Christmas, Holidays

2 responses to “I Say It Every Year…

  1. I’m the same – they make me sneeze and give me a rash, I also feel sick, dizzy and headachy after a while. It’s awful really. I’d love to be able to have a real tree, but it’s just impossible. I sympathise with my fellow sufferers.

    • It IS aweful! I usually feel like I have the flu and get really bad headaches. Still, there are those that don’t believe or never heard of it so every year I post hoping it will get to someone else. 😉